Section 3 - HUD Opportunities
The Lower Rio Grande Development Council has been tasked with providing technical grant assistance and outreach for registration under Section 3. Section 3 is a provision of the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968 to foster local economic development, to improve neighborhoods, and to make individuals self-sufficient.
As a partner with TxCDBG Program, LRGVDC would like to improve knowledge of Section 3 for the benefit of the Rio Grande Valley community and its residents. Attached on the sidebar is an updated list of Section 3 business and contractors, for employment or contracting services.
Section 3 provides opportunities under HUD to two kinds of Section 3 classifications: individuals and businesses. Each affords unique priorities and programs to better serve the community.
Section 3 individual designations are those in public housing, or those who are in the area who lives where a HUD-assisted project is located. Training and employment priorities are granted to these residents by the HUD department or HUD-funded organizations.
A Section 3 business:
- Is 51 percent or more owned by Section 3 residents;
- Employs Section 3 residents for at least 30 percent of its full-time, permanent staff; or
- Provides evidence of a commitment to subcontract to Section 3 business concerns, 25 percent or more of the dollar amount of the awarded contract.
These Section 3 programs applies to
1. HUD-funded Public and Indian Housing assistance for development, operating and modernization expenditures
2. Certain HUD-funded Housing and Community Development projects that complete housing rehabilitation, housing construction, and other public construction.
Businesses who are certified in Section 3 will receive priority for HUD projects.
If you would like to self-certify your business:
If your business secures a HUD contract under Section 3 priorities, then you will be required to digitally report in the SPEARS web based platform.
If you would like to make a complaint about a Section 3 certified business:
Fill out this Form and mail, email or fax to the appropriate regional office.